I have considered rejoining the gym, but the thought of running on a treadmill, inside is painful for me. I just don't enjoy it. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just not for me.
If you are like me and still plan on getting your running done in the great outdoors, here are some of my safety tips I'd like to share with you:
1. If running at night, run with lots of reflective gear.
2. Do not run at the same time/same route - mix it up.
3. Run with your cell phone. I've been carrying mine in the pink reflective fuel belt you see in the picture above.
4. Do not run with music - you want to be able to hear if someone/something is coming up to you. I have finally broken myself of this habit. No more iPod for me. Well, maybe for races!
5. Bring protection. What I want to buy --- Pepper Spray for the runner!
6. Try to run in well populated areas. For me, that means if I run alone, a lot of out and backs near my house. No longer will I be venturing into the dark wooded areas by myself.
7. Run with buddies. I have my usual running date with the Rail Trail Chicks on the weekends. I need to focus more on looking for someone to run with on my weekday runs. I'd go with Ward, but someone needs to stay with the kids!
which leads me to...
8. If you have a dog that is able to run with you, bring him/her with you!
|telling her she's an awesome running girl|
I've taken her on two runs this week so far and it's been okay. She's definitely excited to go with me because she shot off like a rocket both times.
Happy & Safe Running to you all!